Wednesday, April 25, 2012

The Discrimination we face in School

The way we view school is almost immaculate. It is a play in our, eyes, that is free from racism, prejudice, and degredation. But at times, this is not always the case.  There are haters everywhere and speaking as a realist, the world will never be free of them. Let me cite some examples.

First let's go to the stereotype:
I'm sure I've written about stereotypical, people and students in my previous entries. Remember the movies that we watched about high schools in the US? I'm sure we've noticed the ever-antagonistic, "popular kids". They have their own tables, their own group of people that willingly follow them without question, and they constantly snub the "nerds". Schools today are highly unlikely to show students with this kind of behavior. But I will make the comparison.

Schools in real life:
In my opinon, discrimination is as strong as ever. However, it is almost unapparent. Students have mastered the art of belittling other people so discreetly, that it does not reach the word of the teachers/principals. I believe that this is the way it should be. I think as equals, discrimination will not cease and it is the other persons problem of how he views other people. However it is wrong for discrimination to be the cause of punishment, or lack of rewarding to a student. It should not be the policy of how desicions are made. People are free to think as they wish, and even say as they wish (with the consequences of course). 

What is my point?
My point is that discrimination is everywhere and cannot be removed because it is a point of view. And removing a point of view is tantamount to taking away the right to free opinion. Even authority figures can personally discriminate against other people, no one is stopping them from hating another nationality. It becomes wrong however, when that is how they make their decisions and treat the people below them based on their personal beliefs. You can be racist against your employee as much as you like, but you still have to treat them fairly and with respect.

No comments:

Post a Comment